Monday, May 21, 2012

Please call the Owner for showings

Some homeowners believe they can sell their home on their own.  While it's not impossible, it can be frustrating and time consuming for the homeowner and for any professional agent. The average person doesn't understand what is actually involved in a home sale or how they need to respond and react to potential Buyer's or their agents.

Some "savvy" FSBOs will spend money to have their home added to their local multiple listing service also called an MLS.  A listing service is a database that is used by professional agents to publish the clients homes and where agent look to find homes for their Buyer's.

Now, as many of my readers know there are LOTS of homes available and I spend many hours and countless weekends working for my Buyer's and showing them the best properties on the market.  Would you, as an agent, take any more time with this Seller?

For your reading pleasure, I submit to you...

On the MLS printout it reads, "Please call the owner for showing instructions."

A 13 year old boy answered.  I asked for X and this was his response...

"My dad went to get new tires on his car, do you want me to call him?"

Me: "I just want to show the house, so if that's what you need to do, yes."

13 year old: "The garage sales are going to be going all day, you're not calling about that are you?"

Me: "No, the house YOU are in is on the mkt and I'm a Realtor with a buyer who would like to show your home."

13 year old: "Oh, ha ha, sorry sir. I don't live here. Hold on..."

Some other lady "Hello, is this David?"

Me: "No, this is Greg Nino with RE/MAX. I have a buyer and would like to show your home."

Some other lady: "I am so sorry. I'm X's sister-in-law, we're in town visiting. Let me call X's wife on her cell, she's with her daughter at Party City. I'll see what's going on and make sure somebody calls you... EXCUSE ME..... LONG PAUSE........... OH, hold on. Did you say you were X's Realtor, like the Realtor for THIS house?

Me: "No, I'm GREG NINO I'm trying to show THAT house, I don't work for the seller."
Some other lady: "Oh, okay. I don't really understand.. LOL. I just want to help. YIKES. Let me call X's wife.


That was 1 hour ago.

Do you think this homeowner is saving any money by attempting to do things on their own? On the MLS it reads: "Seller ANXIOUS to look at ALL offers." There's also a btsa. Bonus to selling agent of $2,000.00. That's extra commission to the agent who brings the buyer. I wonder if they should have spent that money on something else.


Thanks to Chris Somers for sharing this with me.  Here is the original posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment